Director: Gary Entin
Writers: Edmund Entin (screenplay), Brent Hartinger (novel)
Genre: Comedy, Coming Out
Duration: 80 min
Stars: Cameron Deane Stewart, Meaghan Martin, Justin Deeley
Ovaj tinejdžerski film iz produkcije Huffington Pictures nije baš priča za balkansko područje ali interesantno bi ga bilo vidjeti na našim televizijama uz neki propratni talk show kao podrška mladim gejevima i gay zajednici u cjelini.
Zgodnjikavi 16-godišnji Russel, zvjezda školskog fudbalskog tima pokušava da izbjegne nabacivanje školskih cura dok se potajno viđa sa takođe popularnim školskim sportistom godine Kevinom.
Međutim osjeća da to što radi nije u redu i vrijeme nakon nastave provodi u školskom geografskom klubu u kojem se potajno okupljaju gejevi koji međusobno razgovaraju o svojim željama, strahovima i razmišljanjima.
Nakon što cura povrijeđene sujete cjeloj školi objavila da je Russel gay, situacija se dramatično mjenja. Podsmjeh i poruga postaju svakodnevnica sa kojom se treba izboriti i sačuvati dostojanstvo. Russel sa prijateljima iz geografskog kluba osniva sekciju za podršku LGBT učenika.
Iako je nezamislivo da u našim školama postoje takvi gay klubovi i sekcije, film bi mogao biti korisno zabavno štivo za gej ali i str8 učenike u srednjim školama.
Nebih sada propagirao coming out za mlade gejeve, posebno ne onima u srednjim školama na balkanu ili manjim mjestima gdje tolerancija nije nešto čime se možemo pohvaliti ali preporučio bih momcima koji osjećaju da ih više privlače drugari iz škole nego cure da budu opušteni i prikažu sebe ne kao geja već kao osobu vrijednu prijateljstva i poštovanja. Uz prave prijatelje je lakše biti iskren i donijeti odluke koje će vam promjeniti život.
"GEOGRAPHY CLUB" is based on Brent Hartinger's best-selling critically acclaimed novel. "What am I looking for?" 16-year old Russell Middlebrook asks himself as he heads off on his newest adventure. Russell is still going on dates with girls. Kevin will do anything to prevent his football teammates from finding out what he is concealing. Min and Terese tell everyone they're really just good friends. And then there's Ike who can't figure out who he is or who he wants to be. But the truth is too hard to hide-at least from each other-so they form the Geography Club.
Nobody else will discover the truth about them as no other students in their right mind would ever want to join as geography sounds so boring. Their secrets will be safe from their classmates. But are they? "Geography Club" is a smart, fast, moving and funny account of contemporary teenagers as they discover their own sexual identities, dreams and values and not merely live out their parents' desires and ambitions.
Russell, Kevin, Min, Terese and Ike may not learn about actual places in their undercover social club, but they daringly explore the danger-filled clique-mined landscape of Goodkind High School and courageously begin their journey in the exciting, still uncharted terrain of the human heart.
The film is produced by Huffington Pictures' Michael Huffington (ex-husband of Huffington Post founder Arianna Huffington) and follows a group of high schoolers who are discovering their own sexual identities -- along with their dreams and ambitions in life.
“This universal story of each of us finding our true selves will resonate with anyone who attended high school for decades to come," says Huffington. "We are delighted that Breaking Glass Pictures is joining forces with our team to bring this entertaining and meaningful movie to the public.”
- Big Gay Picture Show — Geography Club
- The Backlot — Cameron Deane Stewart Brings ‘Geography Club’s’ Russel Middlebrook To Life
- CBS’s The Talk — Ana Gasteyer on ‘Geography Club’
- New York Times — Closeted High School Romances: Gay Students Find Support in ‘Geography Club’
- GLAAD — Director Gary Entin speaks with GLAAD about his new film ‘Geography Club’ and bullying
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network — GLSEN Talks with ‘Geography Club’ Star Nikki Blonsky
- Word & Film — Talking About Kevin: ‘Geography Club’ Lands On Screen
- Huffington Post — Cameron Deane Stewart, Actor, Discusses ‘Geography Club’
- The Advocate — The Appeal of Being Unique
- AfterEllen — Ally Maki and Nikki Blonsky talk playing girlfriends in ‘Geography Club’
- Glitter Magazine — Interview with Nikki Blonsky from ‘Geography Club’
- CBS Los Angeles — Actor Cameron Deane Stewart Discusses ‘Geography Club’
- Village Voice — YA Adaptation ‘Geography Club’ Handles Serious Issues With a Light Touch
- Seventeen — If you’re over being labeled, you’ll love this movie
- Entertainment Tonight — Nikki Blonsky: I’m Bullied Every Day
- Broadway World — Nikki Blonsky Stars in Geography Club, Coming to Theaters 11/15
- Photos: Author Brent Hartinger on the set of Geography Club
- WBOC-TV 16 — Movie Review - Geography Club
- Shine On Media — Behind the scenes at the Zooey Magazine photoshoot (teaser)
- Glitter Magazine — Interview with Cameron Deane Stewart on Geography Club
- Glitter Magazine — Interview with Meaghan Martin on her role in Geography Club
- Glitter Magazine — Interview with Justin Deeley on his role in Geography Club
- Just Jared Jr. — Ally Maki Talks ‘Geography Club’
- OK! Magazine — OK! First Look: Meaghan Martin Talks About Her New High School Movie Starring Alex Newell, Nikki Blonsky And More
- Hearts & Foxes — Exclusive! Meaghan Martin Spills On ‘Geography Club!’
- Clevver — Meaghan Martin & Cameron Deane Stewart: ‘Geography Club’ Trailer
- Young Hollywood — Q&A: Actor Justin Deeley
- Berkshire on Stage — Wide opening for ‘Geography Club’ — one of year’s best LGBT films
- The Daily Grind — Independent Gay Film ‘Geography Club’ Stars Glee’s Alex Newell
- Huffington Post — ‘Geography Club’ Adds ‘Glee’ Star Alex Newell To Cast
- Huffington Post — ‘Geography Club’ Film Explores Closeted Gay High School Love
- Glitter Magazine — Geography Club, out in theaters on November 15th, tackles anti-bullying
- USA Today — Acclaimed YA novel ‘Geography Club’ comes to theaters
- Towelroad — ‘Geography Club,’ About Secret Support Group For Gay Teens, Heading To Theaters
- DNA Magazine — Trailer: Geography Club — New Gay Teen Movie
- Indiewood/Hollywoodn’t — Breaking Glass Pictures, Huffington Pictures & Shoreline Entertainment Bring ‘Geography Club’ to Select Theaters on November 15
- Queerty — New Film Explores Secret Gay Love On High School Football Team
- battleroyalewithcheese — Geography Club Trailer & Poster